Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I never thought it could be so easy!

Yesterday was one of those days. I forgot to take something out for dinner early enough. Funny thing is I remember an episode of "Diners, Drive-In's and Dives" and they featured a boiled beef. Boiled beef? Yuck...lol...So I did as follows:
one froze beef roast, in a dutch oven covered with water, tossed in an onion and some garlic as well as salt and pepper. brought to a boil turned to low and let simmer until fully cooked. I was a little worried when I sliced it and its texture was like shoe leather. But then the magic was about to happen")
I made a beef gravy w/the liquid that the roast had boiled in. With a little butter and flour and more seasoning the gravy was tasting good! I then did as they did on t.v. I took the sliced roast and placed it in a baking dish and poured the gravy on top. You want the meat drowning in gravy. I placed foil over it and into a 350 degree oven for about an hour and a half.
When it was time to serve the meat could be cut with a butter knife!
What to do with this wonderful meat? I decided on beef sandwiches but did not want to use regular bread and the hamburger buns in my freezer left something to be desired, freezer burn to say the least.
I did not want to go to the market for buns, so I made my own hamburger buns! THEY were so EASY and tasted SO GOOD! It was a proud moment for me and I will try my best to never buy a store bought bun again. I can't wait to try this recipe with different flours like spelt. Here is the recipe that I found, the original called for cracked wheat flour but I used AP because that's what I had.
3/4 c. warm water
3 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2-3 cups flour
in stand mixer bowl combine warm water & yeast, let sit for 5 min.
add the honey, melted butter & egg.
beat until smooth.
add 2 cups flour. beat until smooth.
and salt and enough remaining flour to create a kneadable dough. your dough will completely pull away from the sides of mixing bowl.
knead on low setting in mixer for about 6 minutes.
cover dough and let rest about 10 minutes.
divide into 8 rounds.
place on greased parchment paper  (I use baking pads and don't grease) flatten out the tops.
let buns rise until doubled and if desired brush with egg whites and add sesame seeds or whatever. I used italian seasoning and parmesan. bake at 350 degrees about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment