Friday, April 1, 2011

Braised Lamb Shanks

I use celery, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, olive oil to coat the pan and red wine to deglaze the pan.

I start by browning the lamb shanks. (I used four of them so I got a good brown by only browning two at a time in the pot).......salt and pepper the shanks well before browning.

Once meat is brown set aside and add the celery, onions and garlic.

Add about a cup of red wine to get all the bits and pieces up. Then put the meat back in with any juices from the plate and add your tomatoes. Bring the pot to a high simmer. Put the lid on and reduce heat. It will simmer on low for about 3 hours until the meat is falling off the bone.
Just before serving I add a drizzle of olive oil and check for seasoning.

I served it with roasted root vegetables. Parsnips, turnips and sweet potatoes just drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper into a 375 degree oven for about 20 mins. and a nice green salad with fresh basil.

2 comments:

  1. I am DEFINITELY trying this one!!! Mario has been asking for these. Tonight for dinner at our house is hot dogs...:)) Love you, LadyTK!!!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too, Janet!!!! I know first hand what a lucky man Mario is to have you as his wife") you are a wonderful cook!

    ReplyDelete