Monday, April 4, 2011

Fried Chicken and Biscuits

My Husbands birthday was a big hit. Nothing better then family, friends and good food. The only thing that would have made it better would have been to have had ALL of our kids and grandkids here. In addition to this being Mike's favorite meal it is also a family favorite that I make 2-3 times a year.



Fried Chicken is really very easy. There are several different methods
but for me I like to pan fry as opposed to using a deep fryer.
There are two very important steps in my opinion. First SEASON!
I not only season the chicken but its important to season the flour.
I like to soak the chicken in a salt water brine.
place chicken in a large bowl and cover with water and add about 1/4 cup of kosher salt,
and then I add about two tablespoons each of garlic powder, onion powder and pepper.
This was for a recipe of 50 servings so with a smaller serving of 8 I use about 2 tablespoons
of salt and a teaspoon of each of the other seasonings.
I like to soak the chicken for about an hour.
After soaking rinse the chicken and  lay it out on a plate or a pan and salt and pepper the chicken.
Have your flour in a large bowl seasoned well. I use Lawry's seasoning and pepper.
As I said I know there are different methods of doing fried chicken. Some people like
to dip in buttermilk or eggs and then in the flour. I only use flour! Coat each piece of chicken
in flour and shake off any excess flour.
Have your pan ready on a med-high heat with your oil hot (canola) and
don't be afraid to use oil, after all you are frying. I fill the pan at least half way.
You want to be careful to use a deep fry pan as the oil will rise when you add the chicken.
2nd MOST important tip DON'T over crowd the pan.
Turn the heat to medium after all the chicken is in the pan and leave it alone.
There is no need to turn it and touch it let it be for 15 mins.
After turning the chicken let cook for another 7-10 minutes.
drain onto paper towels and serve.
When I'm doing chicken for a large crowd I make it in advance
and keep the chicken in a 200 degree oven and just before serving I give it another quick fry.
I bring the oil to temp and fry each side 1-2 minutes drain and serve.
AND ask anyone who has had it....crunchy and tasty every time.
Also the second quick fry makes the chicken crunchy served cold right out of the fridge
or for a picnic!
For the biscuits I found a recipe I love! This biscuit is great served hot or at room temp!
I often use this recipe when making sandwiches for a parties and they always go over well.
2 packages active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
5 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter cut into pieces...keep cold
2 cups buttermilk
preheat oven to 450 degrees. butter a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
Dissolve yeast in warm water and let proof.
sift all dry ingredients into large bowl.
cut in butter until mixture is coarse.
stir in yeast and butter milk.
Once everything is incorporated without over working the dough
turn out onto a floured board and knead the dough until it is not sticky.
roll out to desired thickness, they will not rise much so pay attention to the thickness
that you desire. I just cut them in squares and place them on the prepared baking sheets.
brush the tops with melted butter and into the oven for 10-12 minutes depending on your oven.
you want them golden not brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment