Thursday, February 17, 2011

Quick and delicious Shrimp Bisque

We have a wonderful house guest (Laura Sweeney)  for the next week and then I leave town for a couple weeks myself. Again I have a tentative plan of meals for the next week but I'm sure it will vary as we may decide to do some day outings....")
Last night after a long day of showing her around Castle Rock I came home and threw together a most delicious and wonderful shrimp bisque. I had the food network on the other day and saw Paula Deen do a shrimp bisque and thought I should do that. So the following recipe is what I threw together last night and much lighter version then one of my favorite T.V. Chefs....Paula Dean.
I simply diced a small onion and about 4-5 stalks of celery and sauteed in the bottom of my dutch oven in a drizzle of olive oil.
Then I added about 2 tablespoons of butter and equal amounts of flour and cooked until slightly brown.
Then I added on box of chicken stock and seasoned with Cavender's, garlic pepper, smoked paprika, and salt & pepper to taste.
Then I added about a cup of half and half and brought back up to a simmer.
Just before serving I added cleaned and de vained cooked shrimp.  I found them on sale for $5.99 for 2lbs already cooked so I bought them for nights like last night when I want something quick and easy.
To serve I prepared soup bowls with about 2 heaping tablespoons of frozen peas on the bottom and poured hot soup over the peas and garnished with fresh herbs, quick homemade rosemary & garlic croutons and the best part diced avocado and a squeeze of fresh lemon.
I have to say it was a BIG HIT....and quite impressive. Laura loved it as did the rest of my family who likes seafood")....it was done in under 30 mins. and with the shrimp being on sale it was cost effective as well I used just over a half pound of shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment