Thursday, January 27, 2011

Well sometimes life just gets in the way of the best of plans. Yesterday my son was goofing off with his friends and we ended up at at the Dr.'s office while he got stitches. Along with dealing with a tax nightmare I have not stuck to my original meal plan for the week. Luckily before I got the call to pick up my son I had already started dinner.
I made braised short ribs. I started with my dutch oven, one of my favorite things in my kitchen. If you don't have one I highly recommend you buy one.
Braised short ribs:
8 short ribs
olive oil
1 onion
2 cloves crushed garlic
red wine
1 large can chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
frozen cheese tortellini
drizzle olive oil in the bottom of your pot. add the beef ribs after seasoning with salt and pepper and brown on all sides. take the ribs out and toss in the onion and garlic. and about 2 cups of red wine and add the can of chopped tomatoes and oregano. add the meat as well as any of the juices back to the pan. bring to a simmer and cover. turn the heat on low and let simmer for about 3 hrs. when its finished the meat will just fall off the bone. Just before its time to serve toss in a package of frozen cheese tortellini when tortellini is cooked through serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Its a great meal served with a big fresh salad.
Tonight was also quick and easy. Grilled bacon cheese burgers with a caper mock mayo and all the fixings.
I use extra lean ground beef or turkey as well as turkey bacon. I simply season the meat with salt and pepper and in the winter I pull out the George Forman grill. I use nice whole grain buns and toast them with olive oil and Parmesan cheese. I make a mock mayo using plain greek yogurt about 1/2 c. drizzle in a small amount of olive oil and then add about 2-3 tablespoons of capers and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

  1. Teresa, I love your blog! Your life story choked me up and made me proud to know you all in one emotion. Keep up the great work and thanks for the recipes and meal ideas.

    ReplyDelete